- Eat Smart, Move More’s Healthy Food Retail Kit This toolkit provides a general process and tools for working with owners of small food stores to increase their selection of healthy foods. It includes templates for customer surveys, interviewing store owners, and tracking data, among other resources.
- Healthy Eating Research’s Minimum Stocking Levels and Marketing Strategies of Healthful Foods for Small Retail Food Stores This resource provides recommendations to understand the ideal stocking levels to promote healthy eating in small retail venues, as well as marketing strategies to promote healthy foods.
- The Food Trust Based in Philadelphia, the Food Trust has been working to increase low-income consumer access to healthy food for over 20 years. Many of their projects have been used as models for other cities or at the national level, including the “Philly Food Bucks” SNAP incentive program, Healthy Corner Store initiatives and Food Financing Initiatives (which provide loans to encourage supermarkets to open in underserved areas).
- Nutrition Environment Measurement Surveys (NEMS) These surveys are the standard tool used to assess the availability and affordability of healthy items, compared to less healthy choices, at supermarkets, corner stores, restaurants, and other outlets in the Food Environment.
- NC Alliance For Health- Healthy Corner Store Initiative NC Alliance for Health is helping to lead the way in passing legislation in NC to support healthy corner stores.
- Click here to watch a video created by NC Alliance for Health highlighting successful Healthy Corner Stores
- Community Food Lab has created an NC-specific guide: Healthy Corner Stores Guidelines, Toolkit, and Pilot Study
- Minneapolis Healthy Corner Store Project This site provides information about the Minneapolis Healthy Corner Store project, including sample resources, assessment tools, and a report summarizing the project.
Assistant Professor and Local Foods Extension Specialist
Dept. of Youth, Family, and Community Sciences
NC State University
Was the information on this page helpful?