Alamance County Voluntary Agricultural District

— Written By Laurie Newlin and last updated by

VAD logo

The Alamance County Voluntary Farmland Preservation Program

To promote agricultural values and general welfare of the county by increasing identity and pride in the agricultural community and its way of life; encourage the economic and financial health of agriculture; and increase protection from non-farm development and other negative impacts on properly managed farms.

Public Benefits:

    • Preserves open space in the county.
    • Provides economic diversity in the county.
    • Increases opportunities to produce locally grown agricultural commodities.

Farmer Benefits:

    • Informs new landowners of farm presence and potential of dust, noise and smells associated with agriculture possibly reducing conflicts between neighbors.
    • Requires that farmland be used as a last resort if land is considered for a public project that may condemn land.
    • Land enrolled in the program will not be assessedfees or required to connect to water and sewer service if they plan not to use the service.

Who Qualifies:

Landowners qualify for inclusion as a Voluntary Agricultural District if they meet the following conditions:

1. The farm property must be participating in the Alamance County farm present-use-value taxation program or meets these qualifications.
Minimum amount of land required:

  • 5 acres for horticulture use
  • 10 acres for general agriculture use
  • 20 acres for forestry use

2. The property must have a conservation plan certified by the Natural Resources Conservation Service or N.C. Forest Service.


    • Prohibits non-farm use or development of land for 10 years.
    • Maximum creation of three lots within 10-year period.
    • The property owner may at any time voluntarily revoke agreement by submitting a written notice to Ag. Advisory Board.

For additional information please review a copy of the Alamance County Voluntary Farmland Protection Ordinance available at the Cooperative Extension Office, Alamance Soil & Water Conservation/NRCS Office and Alamance County Planning Department.

Applications for the Voluntary Ag District are also available at these locations or by clicking below:

VAD Application

VAD Application Supplemental Tract Form